My friend and Improvising performer Seke Chimutengwende asked on facebook today: Is it important that audiences know that improvised performances are improvised? There were many responses, this was mine: I don't think it necessarily needs to be billed as improvisation. I think it depends on the performers involved, how explicit they want to be. Improvisation used as a blanket term defeats it's own meaning. As an audience member I'm not concerned whether a work is improvised or not ,in first instance it's how it touches me. If it touches me or I'm curious, then I might look for descriptions of working process of the artist (s) involved. It just so happens that a lot of the work that touches me is either partly or wholly improvised. I think improvisation can be a state of mind of a performer, if the choreography creates a space to experience the unknown.

Comments

Popular Posts