Source of Information


I would like to compile and represent an archive of my physical practice as a dance artist by creating an anthology of the exercises I have been practicing over the past ten years. I am interested in how to consolidate, document,share and disseminate this source of embodied information to others in order to connect my work as a freelancer at an institutional level. I have worked as a dancer for an old-time band. I got to experience first hand how folk music gets archived and recorded, passed on through communities of artists by spending time playing together and recording multiple versions of tunes. It is this combination of a dedication to the form as well as a desire to document it, which I am interested in. In 2022, it is important to further the discourse around contemporary dance practices by contextualising physical practice whilst acknowledging that each exercise is unique to the artist who is practicing depending on their own instrument - their body. Key influences include: Laborgras, David Hernandez, Rebecca Hilton and Keith A. Thompson. One month of the residency will involve recording on video the physical exercises which make up a common methodological approach to contemporary dance training. This archive will then be uploaded to my website. The second month will involved reflective and contextual writing around the methodology and it’s relevance for contemporary dance practice today in relation to my own interspecies choreographic practice. and findings will be shared in the form of a video archive, writing around the methodology and it’s relevance for contemporary dance practice today in relation to my own interspecies choreographic practice. Research outcomes and findings will be shared in the form of a video archive, written materials and drawings.

What is the nature and relevance of an approach to contemporary dance training, documented in this research and defined by a specific community of artists today? 

What is the content and context for this methodology and how can it be documented and presented to further a discourse around contemporary dance practice? 

How does this methodology relate to my choreographic practice?



Comments

Popular Posts